- Digital Industries and Smart Infrastructure delivered sharply higher earnings compared to prior-year quarter
- Significant growth in China
- Detailed business figures for first quarter of fiscal 2021 to follow on February 3, 2021
Following a significantly better-than-expected business performance, the preliminary operating results for Siemens’ businesses for the first quarter of fiscal 2021 have exceeded market expectations. Driven by a strong improvement in the automation business and software business of Digital Industries and higher-than-expected growth in China, the operating results were substantially higher year-over-year (yoy). Siemens will review its outlook for fiscal 2021 and publish its full earnings release for the first quarter of fiscal 2021 on February 3, 2021.
The figures below for the first quarter of fiscal 2021 are preliminary.
- Orders: €4,120 million, comparable +2% yoy, nominal -3% yoy (consensus: €3,995 million)
- Revenue: €3,765 million, comparable +5% yoy, nominal 0% yoy (consensus: €3,561 million)
- Adjusted EBITA: €848 million (consensus: €592 million)
- Adjusted EBITA margin: 22.5% (consensus: 16.6%)
Adjusted EBITA for Digital Industries climbed 57% to €848 million, including higher capacity utilization due to a recovery of demand in the high-margin short-cycle automation business and higher capacity utilization as well as a strong profit contribution of the software business. Adjusted EBITA development also benefited from sharply lower severance charges year-over-year and cost savings related to pandemic restrictions such as lower travel and marketing expenses. Adjusted EBITA margin increased to 22.5%, up from 14.4% a year earlier.
- Orders: €3,806 million, comparable +7% yoy, nominal +1% yoy (consensus: €3,547 million)
- Revenue: €3,477 million, comparable +4% yoy, nominal -1% yoy (consensus: €3,343 million)
- Adjusted EBITA: €391 million (consensus: €300 million)
- Adjusted EBITA margin: 11.2% (consensus: 9.0%)
Adjusted EBITA for Smart Infrastructure rose 39% to €391 million on strong performance across the businesses, especially in the product business, and a resulting higher capacity utilization. Similarly to Digital Industries, Adjusted EBITA development of Smart Infrastructure benefited from sharply lower severance charges year-over-year and cost savings related to pandemic restrictions. Adjusted EBITA margin rose to 11.2%, up from 8.0% a year earlier.
- Orders: €2,742 million, comparable +67% yoy, nominal +65% yoy (consensus: €2,348 million)
- Revenue: €2,193 million, comparable +4% yoy, nominal +1% yoy (consensus: €2,259 million)
- Adjusted EBITA: €219 million (consensus: €227 million)
- Adjusted EBITA margin: 10.0% (consensus: 10.0%)
Mobility continued, as expected, to perform successfully despite pandemic-related headwinds. Adjusted EBITA and profitability held steady at €219 million and 10.0% Adjusted EBITA margin, respectively, level with last year’s pre-COVID-19 quarter.
Siemens AG (Berlin and Munich) is a global technology powerhouse that has stood for engineering excellence, innovation, quality, reliability and internationality for more than 170 years. The company is active around the globe, focusing on the areas of electrification, automation and digitalization. One of the largest producers of energy-efficient, resource-saving technologies, Siemens is a leading supplier of efficient power generation and power transmission solutions and a pioneer in infrastructure solutions as well as automation, drive and software solutions for industry. With its publicly listed subsidiary Siemens Healthineers AG, the company is also a leading provider of medical imaging equipment – such as computed tomography and magnetic resonance imaging systems – and a leader in laboratory diagnostics as well as clinical IT. In fiscal 2018, which ended on September 30, 2018, Siemens generated revenue of €83.0 billion and net income of €6.1 billion. At the end of September 2018, the company had around 379,000 employees worldwide. Further information is available on the Internet at www.siemens.com.
Telefon: +49 (89) 636-00
Telefax: +49 (89) 63652000
Telefon: +49 (89) 636-22804